The Government has provided schools with additional funding for PE, known as the
PE and Sport premium. Schools must spend the funding to improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils, but they are free to choose the best way of using the money.
Our school has decided to invest this funding in the provision of a qualified PE specialist/coach, who will provide:
- quality first teaching of PE
- lunchtime activity clubs
- afterschool sport activities
In addition, our PE specialist liaises with the PE coordinator to assist in planning and organising sports fixtures throughout the year.
Our PE specialist is Mr Gurney and he commenced his role in September 2014. The governing body tracks the use of this funding closely and receives termly updates. We have seen a large increase in the number of children participating in after-school sports and a wider range of PE within lessons.
Evaluation of the PE and Sport Premium 2016/17
- Participation in after school clubs has increased throughout KS2, in addition to PE lessons
- Children have developed their values and attitudes alongside physical skills and fitness, especially through competitive games
- Parents, staff and children have reported increased confidence, cooperation, enthusiasm and determination as a result of the PE and sport opportunities now available to them
- Children have experienced a high level of success in competitions up to regional level (town, county and area winners)
- Children have had more opportunities to take part in competitive and ‘friendly’ fixtures with other local schools including cricket, netball and football tournaments, cross country and athletics events
- Children now have access to organised games and sports at lunchtimes
- Older children are developing their leadership potential and responsibility as Play Leaders
- Children have been introduced to new sports to increase breadth and range (eg Futebol de Salao, Handball, Ultimate Frisbee)
- Networking with PE coordinators/specialists in local schools, sharing expertise and learning as well as increasing competition with other schools
- An annual Sports Award assembly has been introduced to celebrate effort, demonstration skills and sporting achievements
- An annual calendar of sporting events has been planned to offer our children more opportunities to take part in local competitions
- Additional resources have been purchased to support lessons and lunchtime/after school activities